Hi, friends! And happy Tuesday to you!
As you may have noticed (or not, if you're new here 😉 ), things are looking a wee bit different 'round these parts. Yes, the Serial Rearranger has struck again and this time, I went and REALLY changed things up— Goodbye, Hi Steve, HELLO Misadventures of Steve!
Hi Steve has moooo-ved! Okay, maybe I just wanted an excuse to use these cow photos and puns.
When I was a young warthoooooog! Wait, no... *cough*... When I first started this blog a little over a year ago, I wasn't quite sure what I was going to write about. What I did know was that I wanted a space to share photos and work my writing muscles, and I wanted to somehow incorporate my nickname, Steve. I initially landed on Hi Steve because it was short, simple, and it didn't lock me into a specific category like, "Steve Cooks" or "DIY with Steve" would [hilarious examples, by the way, as I rarely do either of those things]. Since I was just testing the waters of blogging, I figured Hi Steve was nondescript enough to allow me to write about anything and for about a year, it was... fine. It was fine, but I was never 100% happy with it. And if there's one thing I've learned from my grandparents, the original Serial Rearrangers, it's this— if ya' don't like something? Just change it. Of course in their case, that usually involves taking down a few walls or ripping out and remodeling the entire kitchen DIY-style when you're in your 80s (yes, that really happened), but I digress. It was time for a change.
After taking a look back at posts from the last year and seeing which ones I enjoyed writing, and maybe more importantly, which ones I actually enjoyed re-reading, I quickly noticed something— Writing about our adventures exploring Georgia and other places came easy and were fun to re-read, whereas posts I wrote just for the sake of posting something (anything!) made me cringe. Big time. So, I did the no-no thing and reverted those old cringe-worthy posts back to "draft" where they will never see the light of day ever again (probably) (sorry not sorry i do what i want 😉).
Now that I had everything narrowed down, I felt even less satisfied with the name Hi Steve. To me, it was a little confusing and didn't say much about what this space was about. I racked my brain, trying to come up with something different, but I kept drawing a blank. Then, one morning as we were heading out for a day of kayaking down Broad River, I said the thing I always say whenever we go somewhere new and/or do something fun— "We're going on an adventure!" (yes, from The Hobbit movie). And as you can probably assume, that was my little "AH-HA!" moment.
Of course, as adventures generally do, things never go quite as expected. Which, if you ask me, is part of the fun. But when I'm involved, you can pretty much guarantee things will go completely and, 9.5 times out of 10, hilariously wrong. It's a talent, really. For example! Kayaking. I will proudly tell you that I am a pretty darn good kayaker... as long as I stay ON the kayak. But, the second I attempt to wade into the water to cool off? I trip over the first stupid rock in my path and face plant into the river. This happens EVERY. DANG. TIME. I kid you not. OH, and then there's the time we went zip-lining and cave tubing in Belize and I came THISCLOSE to flashing a group of strangers because the metal clasp on my bathing suit decided that was the absolute perfect moment to break in half. Not that all my mishaps and such are limited to outdoor activities. I'm notorious for looking 100% drunk in photos when I'm 100% sober, missing the same interstate exit to my own hometown on every drive to visit family, and hitting my head on doors, large walls of glass, and other solid surfaces on a more-than-what-would-be-considered-NORMAL basis. I think you get the idea, although I promise I'm not a walking disaster ALL the time!
He (She?) doesn't seemed convinced...
Once I had a good laugh at myself as I recounted all the funny little incidents over the years, it occurred to me that maybe MISadventures was a more fitting title. A quick check to see if the web address was available, a little site renovation, and here we are! So, a few things to note about the new changes—
- The web address has changed from hi-steve.com to misadventuresofsteve.com, however, I still own the original address and hi-steve.com will forward directly to misadventuresofsteve.com indefinitely. Or, until I decide to get rid of it, which I probably won't.
- If you follow me/my blog on Bloglovin', the only change you should see is the new name, I've already moved all'y'all over to the new feed. If you're not following on Bloglovin', and you want to, just use the link below and click FOLLOW. (If you follow using a different reader, I'm going to guess and say that you'll have to re-follow using the new address. Sorry, I've never used anything other than Bloglovin' so I'm not sure how they work!)
- Social media accounts have remained the same, updated with a link to the new site address. Not following? Use the icons at the top of the page or these links for Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest. And if you like lots of pet pics/clips and snaps of me being the most annoying wife ever, you can find me on Snapchat as histeeeve 👻
- NEW! I created a Facebook page where I'll update with recent posts, photos, and other shtuff. If you prefer to keep up that way, you can find it HERE and give it a big likey-loo. I promise not to clog your feed with political statements, chain mail-like posts guilting you into "like"-ing something so some kid can get a pony, or by sharing excessive cute animal photos. Ok, actually, no promises on that last one...
- COMMENTING SYSTEM I will still be using the Disqus system for comments on the blog. You don't HAVE to sign up to leave a comment. But it's great if you do— you'll get a notification when I reply (or if another reader does) and your own photo will be displayed next to your name instead of the default guest photo I currently have set to this—
I think that's it! Oh, last but not least, even though there's still a bit of construction I'm working on, please take a look around and tell me what you think! If something's not right or not working, definitely let me know and I'll get it fixed ASAP.
Thank you so much for visiting and I hope you have a wonderful week!